In 2009 McKinsey introduced the Consumer Decision Journey. What was good about it then was that it took the traditional purchase funnel and reminded everyone that consumer paths are irregular and that things happen after purchase, too.
They've now expanded on this in 2017, doing their own study on loyalty. What McKinsey's latest study revealed was consumers were loyal to their brands only 13% of the time... The other 87% of the time they shopped around which is another point of proof for Byron Sharp and How Brands Grow, which continues to be one of our most referred-to books @ DC.
What I found interesting this time with the Consumer Decision Journey, that didn't connect as strong the first time I read it, was the language around Step 1---"consideration". "Consideration" as the starting point is different than "awareness" or even "interest". It calls up a reminder that to be considered there has to be either quite a strong and concise thing along with amazing creativity (GEICO/"Save 15% Or More..."), or something extremely compelling to draw people in to learn more as a next step (84 Lumber/Super Bowl ad).
The point of caution here is to not get myopically fixated on listing extensive value props as the only answer to satisfy "consideration." Creating effective "consideration" can take several forms---I think the most important thing is that "consideration" is more substantial than just "awareness", either by what a message might say, or what it might compel someone to do, beyond just making them aware.